UNIVERSITY OARSMEN ON HARBOR

Coach Haines Unable to Follow Crews as "Pup" Out of Commission.

The first two University crews launched their shells in Lynn harbor yesterday afternoon and for the first time this year took a short practice row. The float of the West Lynn Boat Club, which drifted away two days ago, was discovered stranded on the opposite shore of the bay and yesterday morning was put in position. The "Pup," however, was not running, and Coach Haines was unable to follow the boats.

Although the water was smooth considerable trouble was caused by the cold and before the crews returned from their one-mile row a light snow had started to fall. In spite of it, however, the fact that the boat club showers were out of order gave occasion to a few members of the squad to take a plunge in the bay.

The two first eights will continue to row at Lynn until the ice on the Charles breaks up. If the present weather continues it is figured that the river will be open in a week. The ice is still about eight inches thick, however.