THE DAWN OF A NEW TRACK SPIRIT

The signs in the skies look propitious for a better track team this spring than the University has had for many years. Already a new spirit has begun to pervade the track house at Soldiers Field. The coaches and the directors of track activities already have turned a sharp corner and the new road looks bright with encouraging prospects.

Although the recently appointed undergraduate committee has seemingly done nothing, in reality they have been thoroughly investigating the entire situation and have drawn up a long itemized report of the immediate remedies needed for the maintenance of a successful system. At the same time the graduate committee has been formulating its ideas for the improvement of the team. After the meeting of these two committees tonight, the accepted plan of improvements will be immediately put into effect.

We have spoken of the dawn of a new track spirit, but it will be a gloomy, chill dawn if the track squad reporting for the first practice today is not larger than any in the last four years. Two men reporting for the hammer-throw, three for the high jump, and one for the pole-vault will only snuff out the hopeful flame recently kindled. The best of systems must have men behind it. Today is the time for undergraduates to show the committees who have been working for the most efficient plan of direction that the College appreciates their efforts and desires a winning team this May. Every physically fit man who is not taking part in any form of athletics ought to feel it his duty to report at the track house this afternoon.