IST SWELLS

MANY MORE ENLISTMENTS NEEDED TO MAN PROSPECTIVE FLEET.

With the nation on the verge of war with Germany, the enlisting of members of the University in the Naval Reserve is taking place rapidly. Seven complete units have been organized and over 400 men from the first district, which extends from Eastport, Me., to Chatham, have enrolled for the work. The Government is speeding the work forward as fast as possible in view of the present crisis, and the construction of nine new torpedo boat chasers is being rushed.

Many private boats have also been loaned to the Government, but Lieutenant R. F. Bernard, U. S. N., who is in charge of the work, is making plans for the use of 500 boats in all, and men are needed badly. Volunteers for the new boats are necessary at once, and an excellent opportunity is offered members of the University to enroll in the Naval Reserve and to secure positions on powerful 30-knot boats. Men can enlist in units or singly. The units are composed of five men, an ensign, a quartermaster, an engineer and two seamen, but groups of 12 and more men have been organized to man the larger 60 and 90-foot boats. Each unit will be assigned to a boat for patrol duty in the First Naval District during the summer maneuvers, but what is more important, in case of war, will be immediately ordered to report for duty in defending the coast from submarines.

The period of service is four years in length, with only three months during that time to be devoted to active duty. Resignations will be accepted by the Navy Department except during the periods of strained foreign relations or actual war. Classes are being held at the Navy Yard at Charlestown for members of the Naval Reserve, and although men are needed all the time, the work of preparedness is going on rapidly. A special course on gasoline motors is also being given for men interested in the service at M. I. T.

Naval Aviators Active.

A new feature of the work is the Naval Reserve Aviation Service. The authorities have been unable as yet to find a training ground for new men but experienced flyers are in great demand. Nine regular aviators are already flying, and an excellent opportunity is presented members of the University who have had any experience as airmen. Efforts are being made to secure a training ground, and work on the Aviation Service will be rushed as soon as a suitable location is obtained.