Measles, and G----n Measles.

Communications

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Measles and "German" or "Dutch" measles, while really separate and distinct diseases have many points of similarity. Both are highly contagious, just as much so before the appearance of the "eruption" or "rash" as afterward. If one will consider this fact, he may see how important it is to consult a physician on the appearance of the first symptoms, not only for his own sake but in order to prevent the spread of contagion. It is with this motive in view that the following early symptoms common to measles and German measles are given. There is usually a "cold in the head," which may or may not be associated with sneezing; a slight cough; occasional chilly sensations; a feeling of weakness and there may be a headache with more or less general aches and pains. The eyes are somewhat affected. There is usually some fever, in true measles quite "high, in German measles so slight as to often pass unnoticed. One of the earliest symptoms in German measles is the appearance of little swellings or lumps behind or just beneath the ears, or in the back of the neck, often preceding the other symptoms by one or more days and occasionally preceding the rash by as much as a week.

Not all of these symptons are necessarily present and they are seen in diseases other than measles, but especial heed should be given to them when measles or German measles are known to be prevalent.

One great difficulty in trying to control the spread of German measles is due to the fact that these early symptoms are often so mild that the doctor is not consulted until the appearance of the rash, and meantime the individual has pursued without restraint his daily interests--which, may have included the theatre or a dance--spreading the contagion everywhere he goes.

Every individual who has to cough or sneeze, no matter what the cause may be, should cough or sneeze into a handkerchief. One should never allow himself to cough or sneeze into the air which is being breathed by other people. MARSHALL H. BAILEY, M.D.   Medical Adviser.