RULES OF TRAINING LAID DOWN FOR TRACK MEN LAST NIGHT

Herbert Jaques '11 Spoke to Large Body of Athletes in Varsity Club on Conditioning.

Herbert Jaques '11 talked on running last night at the Varsity Club, giving a comprehensive exposition of "the details that build up a track team." Among the topics that he treated are equipment, training as regards food, sleep, bathing, and light exercise, co-operation with the coach and with team-mates, running form and racing.

Equipment should be perfectly adapted to the individual and his event even in the most insignificant details. Substantial, tissue building, easily-digested foods were recommended and a warning was given against over-eating. Proper training demands plenty of sleep and avoidance of extreme heat or cold in bathing. Exercises should aim to develop flexible muscles and those specially needed in particular events.

Form must be studied conscientiously first, last and all the time. No man with poor form was ever a champion, and good form in any sport is the easiest and most natural way to do that thing best." Form may be studied through running beside or behind other men or by watching one's shadow. Straight ahead leg and foot action is the right sort. In order to lift the knees properly the thighs should be developed by the aid of exercises. Arm action must also be studied.

Racing should be studied thoroughly. Careful warming up before a race is essential. Using one's head in a race is often as important as physical ability.

H. L. Sweetser '17 reported for the shot put yesterday, and the coaches are hoping that he will help solve their problem in this event.