MANY FIELDS OF MILITARY SERVICE OPEN TO UNIVERSITY MEN

BESIDES RESERVE OFFICERS' TRAINING CORPS, ARMY, NAVAL AND AVIATION SECTIONS OFFER GREAT OPPORTUNITIES TO FULFILL NATIONAL DUTIES.

The University Committee on Military Affairs, in order to give advice to students and to assist them in determining wisely the service to the country in which they shall enroll themselves, has opened an office at University 2 where Assistant Deans Little and Mayo will be glad to confer with all persons desiring advice or information. The opportunities open to members of the University to prepare themselves for war are many and various. Apart from the Infantry Reserve Officer's Corps, of which a training unit is established at the University, admission may be secured to any of the following: Cavalry Officers' Reserve Corps, Field Artillery Officers' Reserve Corps, Coast Artillery Officers' Reserve Corps, Medical (to include the reserve officers of the Medical Corps, Dental Corps, and Veterinary Corps, Officers' Reserve Corps, Adjutant General's Officers' Reserve Corps, Judge Advocate General's Officers' Reserve Corps, Inspector General's Officers' Reserve Corps, Quartermaster Officers' Reserve Corps, Engineer Officers' Reserve Corps, Ordnance Officers' Reserve Corps, Signal Officers' Reserve Corps. Application blanks may be obtained by writing to the respective sections just stated or to the Adjutant General at the War Department, Washington. Examinations will be set at intervals for applicants. The detail of such examinations, and the text-books recommended, may be found in General Order 32, 1916.

Of course the most apparent means of preparing is the Reserve Officers' Training Corps. If the Unit commences intensive training following the outbreak of war as is at present expected, new battalions will probably be formed to take care of the large number of recruits who, it is anticipated, will apply for enrolment in the Corps.

Six Classes in Naval Reserve.

In the Naval Reserve there is one of six different classes in which men may enter. All but Class 6, however, require special requirements for admission. The Fleet Naval Reserve, Class 1, is the merchant-marine class. Class 2 and Class 3 require, for admittance in any other rating than as an officer, previous experience in the merchant marine; to be an officer it is necessary to have served at least two years as officer on board an ocean on sea-going vessel. Class 5 is the Naval Reserve Flying Corps. The Navy Department has not enough sea-planes and instructors at present to allow novices to enter this class.

The Massachusetts School for Naval Air Service is to establish instruction camps in order to give students sufficient training to admit them to the Flying Reserve. An aviation school will be opened at Squantum this summer to provide just such training. Admission is open to those between 18 and 24 years of age who can pass a rigorous physical examination. After finishing the work at Squantum, the men will take a course at Pensacola, Fla., before being enrolled as officers in the Reserve Flying Corps.

Class 6 is the Volunteer Naval Reserve. Men in this class are volunteers for any of the other five classes, and they agree to serve without the retainer pay and without uniform allowance:

In class 4, the Naval Coast Defence Reserve, "the commandant has authority to enroll anybody who would be useful on the war slate in this naval district. It embraces patrol boats, civil engineers, etc., anybody, in fact, whose services the commandant would need in various parts of the district. The main object of this class is to help secure a sufficient number of patrol boats properly manned and equipped."

A patrol boat unit, for a boat 40 feet long, would be an ensign, a quartermaster, an engineer and four seamen. Two members of such a unit, the ensign and the engineer, are required to have had some experience. The former has to be familiar with coastwise navigation, know how to read charts, and to fix cross bearings. Engineers are to know how to properly handle their engine. Certain men will be enrolled as quartermasters with the understanding that they will learn their duties immediately. Members of the University have the opportunity of forming among themselves patrol boat units, and deciding whom they want for ensign, quartermaster, engineer and seamen. Such units are to enroll together or else inform the enrollment officer of the tentative formation of the unit.

The term of enlistment in the Naval Reserve is for four years, and during that time the reservist is subject to immediate call in time of war or case of emergency. In order to be confirmed in the rank or rating given at the time of enrolment, three months' active duty is required. For others, this active duty is not required, but it is necessary for those who wish to render useful service.

In times of peace the resignations of men in the Naval Reserve are required by law to be accepted. Pay in the Reserve is the same as that of similar rank in the regular line of the navy for the same length of service. In addition a retainer fee of $12 a year is given to those who volunteer in any except Class 6. To a man who has been confirmed in his rating after three months' active duty, the retainer pay is in accordance with the rating.

Men who are in the Naval Reserve have the opportunity of entering the courses being given at the Charlestown Navy Yard, or of taking a course on gasoline engines offered by Tech.

Aviation Corps Open.

Men who wish to enter the Reserve Aviation Corps of the army are required to pass a physical examination and take a six months' training course. The army will take certain men who have had no previous experience in flying and give then aviation training, whereas the navy only takes men for additional training, who have already demonstrated their ability to operate an aeroplane. The training for the Signal Officers' Reserve Corps of the army involves a six-months' course which may be taken during six consecutive months or for three months in two consecutive summers. During the period of training the Government will pay all expenses and in addition will give a pay equivalent to that of an enlisted soldier. After the six-months' course, the men are to be commissioned as lieutenants in the Aviation Section of the Signal Officers' Reserve Corps. In time of peace these officers are liable to two weeks' training each year for five years. In case of war the men would be subject to orders from the War Department. The age limit for entering this corps has recently been raised to 21 years.

Ambutance Section Forming.

For those who, for various reasons, do not join any of the above courses of training, there is the opportunity of en- tering one of the ambulance services. The term of field service in either the American or the Norton-Harjes Service is six months at least. Drivers must be physically fit and able to run an automobile. The expenses in either of these contingents is about $300 for the period of six months.

In case of war the American Ambulance drivers would undoubtedly be recognized by the War Department, and the various units of the service in France will be attached to any United States force that may be sent abroad