ATTENTION TO STUDIES

Now that the hour examinations are nearly over, and the usual final tests rendered unlikely because of the international situation, the temptation on the part of the undergraduates to drop College work in favor of other activities is very strong. Yet at no time should closer attention be paid to studies than at present. All those who are candidates for a degree of any kind this spring may feel reasonably certain that special examinations in their particular fields will be held before the regular time. They should lose no time in making such preparations and reviews as may be necessary. Less than forty-eight hours' notice was given of the final examinations in the department of history, government and economics, covering the students' four-year course.

The annual announcement that three courses for next year must be chosen by the lower classes on or before the first of May is another reason for paying attention to College work. The choice of courses in the spring for the following fall, while always uncertain, is likely to be unusually difficult this year. The Freshmen in particular will have to make the additional decision of the general fields in which they wish to concentrate their College work. These are questions which cannot be put off. Many will not be able to consult their families during the spring recess, and many more will have to make this important choice in the few days left them before they are called into the many military organizations. Those undergraduates who wish to try out new courses by listening to lectures should do so at once.

There is also the likelihood that the members of the R. O. T. C. will not have to give up their College work at once and devote themselves exclusively to military training. General Wood has strongly urged that the men in the Reserve Corps be kept in College as long as possible. While the final decision rests with the War Department and the University authorities, the probability that College work will not be interrupted is strong enough to justify the undergraduates' spending the full amount of time on their regular studies.