REVIEW OF PROVISIONAL BATTALION YESTERDAY

26 MORE APPLICANTS

The four companies of the provisional battalion went through their first review in the Stadium yesterday afternoon. The entire ceremony, including the sound off by the band, was gone through and the company lines in passing in review were extraordinarily straight considering that yesterday was only the ninth day since the start of intensive training and therefore only the ninth day that the provisional battalion has been organized. F. B. Lund '18 acted as major of the battalion.

The rapid progress of the new companies is due in large part to the formation of the so-called "Recruit Detachment" in which all recruits who have had little or no military experience are placed. Formerly the new men were distributed throughout the four companies, but as this system held back the men who had been drilling several days, the Recruits' Detachment was started this week to take care of the inexperienced men. The recruits will be trained until they are considered sufficiently well drilled to join the other companies when they will probably be distributed in the provisional battalion. At present, Mr. Blake who has charge of these men is drilling them in the elements of close order drill, and will soon begin on extended order so that the men will catch up to the other companies as soon as possible. A number of men from the provisional companies have been detailed to help him.

Recruits are joining the Training Corps daily and the total number of men received since the enlistments were reopened now amounts to 487. Twentysix men applied for admission into the unit yesterday, of whom all but three were accepted.

Captain Bowen delivered his first lecture on "The Theory of Target Practice" to the provisional companies last night. Tonight's lecture, for the entire corps will be by Major J. deReviers de Mauny on the subject of "Trench Warfare."