45 ENLIST IN MEDICAL CORPS

UNIVERSITY CONTINGENT NEEDS 27 MORE TO COMPLETE ENROLMENT.

Already 45 members and recent graduates of the University have signed up for the two Harvard ambulance units that the Intercollegiate Intelligence Bureau has asked the University to recruit. These units, when they are recruited to the full strength of 36 men each, will probably be sent abroad immediately. The contingent is to become part of the Medical Enlisted Men's Reserve Corps, and will be among the first of the United States Army corps to reach France. The ambulance units will also give substantial assistance to the French ambulance service, and will, furthermore, serve as Harvard units through the duration of the war. Some insignia designating the distinctive corps will be given to the members.

C. Dunham '10 has been officially placed in charge by the Intelligence Bureau to recruit members of the University for these two units. Enrolment offices will be open today in Room 33, 40 State street, Boston, from 9 to 12 o'clock, and also in University Hall from 1 to 2 o'clock. Members of the University who are interested in this ambulance work are to report to him for the official information and enrolment in the contingent.

The Government will pay members of these units a minimum of $24 a month in addition to necessary expenses, and at present a bill is before Congress authorizing a substantial increase in pay for the men in the Medical Enlisted Men's Reserve Corps. It is expected that this bill will be passed.

At the request of the Intercollegiate Intelligence Bureau, colleges and universities throughout the country are recruiting similar ambulance units. Enlistment in the University contingent is to be for the duration of the war. The units are open only to members or graduates of the University who are able to pass a physical examination. The physical requirements, however, are not at all rigorous, and minor defects in sight or feet will be passed.