MAJOR AZAN SPEAKS TO HARVARD

The speech of Major Azan last evening was especially of interest at this time, when vague reports of disruption are being scattered. The assurance was given in that speech of the desire of the French mission to do its utmost in training American officers competent for the fierce efficiency of the fighting line. The assurance was given also that the mission feels especially eager to train those officers in so far as it may in the Harvard Corps.

These officers, who have in six weeks of intimate work usurped high regard and cordial friendliness in the minds of their pupils, have likewise gained strong attachment for the University. Assigned by their Government to an unexpected post in this country, among a people whose language one or two of them did not even know, they undertook the training of the Corps with the greatest eagerness. We may hope that their endeavor has not been wholly, nor in the least part, in vain.

The temptation was obvious for these men, accustomed to action and eager for the utmost service in the consecrated cause of their native land, to feel that in training a group of unskilled young men here, however willing were those young men, and however great was the need of training, they had been relegated to the less exciting and less glorious post of war. Yet with large vision and broad sympathy they saw the needs and the possibilities of the lessons which they might teach, and have worked without rest in the teaching.

No man who is capable of appreciating the generosity of others can fail to appreciate the generosity of our instructors, and of the Government which donated them. As partial earnest of full payment each cadet will strive to his furthest ability to profit by the skilled and thoughtful training which he is receiving. The full payment may be made in France, as brave officers, leading men in battle for the glorification of the French officers' cause and of our equal cause.