TOLD OF DUTIES IN WAR TIME

CHRISTIAN UPRIGHTNESS NEEDED, ACCORDING TO BREWER EDDY.

Brewer Eddy, traveling secretary of the International Y. M. C. A., addressed an audience of 75 students at a meeting of the Christian Association in Phillips Brooks House yesterday morning on the subject, "Some Christian Responsibilities in War Time." His talk was a part of the regular Christian Association meeting and was the first of a series to be held at the same place and hour on Sunday mornings. A quartet from the Glee Club, composed of H. T. Sears '19, J. R. Campbell '19, E. S. Hardell '21 and C. P. Fuller '19, sang before Mr. Eddy's talk.

The need of reality, independence and old-fashioned devotion was emphasized by Mr. Eddy in his remarks. "We must have reality of faith, conviction that the hand of God has marked out a path for us to follow," he said. "We cannot tell what may happen. It is even conceivable that we may lose this war, and that is a thing for you to ponder well. Yet even so, great things have come from periods of loss, of chaos and of defeat.

"Harvard men do not need to seek independence of one kind, the independence of individuality, but you should keep Christian independence. I am not troubled with a passing thought of pacifism; I should willingly wipe out a whole German army corps, if I thought it would hasten the end of the war, but I would not hate. Keep your independence from such thought, and do not put your Christianity in storage during the war."

The third need of the present day, according to Mr. Eddy, is a good, old-fashioned, whole-souled devotion. "Nothing can undermine the character of a nation more than emphasis on living," he concluded. "Be willing to devote your lives to the cause. Above all, don't be unmoved, don't be 'fed up' on the war. If your soul is not daily torn apart by this war, it is to your damnation."