YEAR-ROUND WORK AT CORNELL

ENGINEERS PUT ON WAR BASIS.-- COEDUCATION FAILS AT PENNSYLVANIA.

The Sibley College of Mechanical Engineering at Cornell University is to be placed on a war basis to meet the demands of the Government for technically trained men. A third term for seniors in that college will begin May 27 and end September 20, taking in a full half-year's work, so that those enrolled in the course may be graduated in February, 1919, five months ahead of the normal time.

Special courses are to be offered in wireless telegraphy, naval electricity, marine machinery, naval architecture, etc. The new policy will keep the university open virtually all year to supply the Government with the trained men demanded.

No Coeducation for Pennsylvania.

The trustees of the University of Pennsylvania have taken no definite action on the plan to admit women students to the university. Failure to act was due probably to a student mass-meeting at which resolutions were passed calling upon the trustees to postpone action. As a result the matter was referred to a special committee to be appointed by Provost Smith. As the board will not meet again for three months, it will be impossible in any event to open the university to women until fall.

The student body in its resolutions suggested that the Bennett Fund, left some years ago by a Philadelphia merchant for the education of women at the university, be used to build a separate college for women. This fund now amounts to more than half a million dollars. It was also suggested that the fund might be used in event of the first plan proving impracticable, to employ enough additional instructors and professors to provide separate classes for the men and women students.

Syracuse Gymnasium Closed.

Lack of fuel has led to the closing of both the men's and women's gymnasiums at Syracuse University. Gymnasium classes have been suspended and the practice sessions of the track and basketball teams transferred to down-town halls. The Archbold Gymnasium will be opened for a basketball game with Princeton Saturday evening.