MONDAY

Though many of us have growled and grumbled at the new five-day vacation imposed on the national industries by Mr. Garfield, there was one plank in his platform which pleased the undergraduate. Monday seemed well on the way to join Sunday on the credit page of our lives. Two consecutive days of rest and ease made us more and more in favor of the Fuel Board. Week-end parties were planned for months in advance,--a five-day schedule appeared too good to be true. It was, and our day-dreams of this new Utopia have faded into oblivion, for Monday is to continue as of yore: a day of "liaison" between a merry week-end and a dreadful week to come.

Now that we know our fate we have to admit that a Monday holiday would not have been as ideal as at first it seemed. The work normally done then would merely have been shunted onto the other five days and we should have gained nothing. As far as saving fuel is concerned the Monday-vacation scheme would have been of no avail. The Yard, as we understand, is heated by excess steam from the Cambridge Power Plant, which would have to keep open anyway. We would have saved nothing there. Dormitories would necessarily be open and light and heat would be used as on other days.

So, after all, though we may manufacture minds at the University, we may still be grateful that Harvard is not officially classed under factories.