Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

S. A. T. C. WILL CONTINUE

WASHINGTON ORDERS WORK TO GO ON.--MAJOR HEERMANCE URGES HARD STUDY.

We are informed from Washington that the S. A. T. C. will continue, at least for the present, just as if the war were still going on. The men are particularly urged to continue to put the same spirit in their academic work as well as their military work. They will receive credit for all this work, and their efficiency will be a great factor in determining their rating as possible officer material. This war has clearly shown that colleges are the natural reservoirs for officer material, and all members of the S. A. T. C. will be given opportunity to prove themselves capable of becoming officers after further training. Some of the more experienced men are being sent to Central Officers' Training Schools as vacancies occur, but it is primarily essential that the greater part of the men should settle down to physical and mental work. At present it is planned to continue the training of officers, so that in event of national compulsory military service, the country will not lack officers.

There are three reasons why all men should be exceedingly glad to continue their military training.

First, every man should conscientiously endeavor to fit himself in the best possible manner for citizenship, of which an important part is the ability to be a good soldier. Hence a thorough knowledge and understanding of military matters.

Second, military training is very beneficial to the man personally in that it develops him physically and gives him invaluable mental training by the self-control, discipline and instantaneous response to orders and commands.

Third, in event of another war, or of compulsory training, the men who have had previous military experience will be the first to become officers.

The mere fact that peace has been declared should not affect either the S. A. T. C. or the Junior S. A. T. C. The members of the latter organization are particularly fortunate because they are getting double credit for their work. Besides getting credit for the college degree they are also getting credit with the government, and a man who has a good record in the Junior Company will be considered as officer material as soon as he has reached the proper age.