For an Equalized Sunday.

COMMENT

Despite the shut-minded opposition which all proposals on the subject met last year, Henry L. Higginson comes resolutely into the General Court with another petition dealing with the question of Sunday baseball. This time it is desired to legalize the playing of the game by soldiers and sailors who may enjoy turning to this healthy pastime during the odd hours on the Sabbath. The natural wisdom of providing these men with any and all sensibly planned opportunities for recreation, it is to be hoped will so appeal to the General Court that the legislature will not only admit the petition, upon the recommendation given by the Committee on Rules, but also press it to passage.

The subject will never be given full justice until the inequality of our present Sunday laws has been reformed wherever inequality exists. As matters stand now, all those who can naturally afford to secure recreation on Sundays by motor trips, at country clubs and on private grounds are easily able to do so, but the less favored half of the community, including small boys, are held as offenders against the law if they play baseball even out of church hours. It is not a question of legalizing professional baseball on Sunday, but of giving all the people an equal chance to enjoy the day--or else an equal legal restriction that all shall stay at home. Boston Transcript.