MEEKER SCHOLARSHIP FOUNDED

FATHER OF WILLIAM H. MEEKER GIVES MEMORIAL TO UNIVERSITY.

The University has received a gift to establish the "William Henry Meeker '17 Scholarship," to be awarded "for excellence in some of the English courses." Announcement of the reception of this gift was made yesterday afternoon by the University authorities.

William H. Meeker '17, in whose memory the scholarship is founded, was a member of the Class of 1917 and left College early in the spring of that year to enter the aviation service. He became a corporal in the Lafayette Escadrille and was killed at Pau, France, on September 11, 1917, in an airplane accident.

While in College Meeker was active in undergraduate affairs and one of the most popular men in his class. He was Managing Editor and later President of the CRIMSON, and was on the staff of the Advocate. He was a member of the Student Council, of the 1917 Class Day Committee, and belonged to the following clubs: Dramatic Club, Harvard Republican Club, Fly Club, Iroquois Club, the Signet, the Stylus and the Hasty Pudding.

The father of William H. Meeker, Henry E. Meeker of New York, is the donor of the scholarship. Mr. Henry Meeker is himself a graduate of the College in the Class of 1889.