THE MEEKER MEMORIAL

Heroes have been honored in many ways and on many occasions ever since wars first began. He whose death was valiant even more than he whose life was marked by bold deeds has furnished inspiration for future generations. Some are remembered through memorials of marble, other thought the literature of fellow-men. In every instance, however, the world tries to honor in the most imperishable form it can devise, those qualities of manhood which outlast any memorial. Never can we perpetuate in a truly permanent and fitting way the valor of courageous self-sacrifice, but we aim forever to make our tribute as lasting as possible. William Meeker's death deserves the most enduring honor fellow-men are able to give, however insignificant that may be.

A scholarship in English has been chosen as the most appropriate honor. This is fitting indeed, for not only will Meeker's memory be preserved, but it will be preserved ever fresh. So long as instruction in English is part of the University's curriculum, students will be inspired by the example of a former undergraduate. At the same time, this scholarship is to be a reward for excellence. As an encouragement for students to attain perfection, or, at least, to do their utmost, the memorial will be of value to humanity. That the memory of a life spent in seeking excellence should be kept alive by an incentive to develop the same trait in other men must bring widespread approval. Just as in studies or in outside activities, Meeker sought to act on noblest principles, so finally he sacrificed himself, following that path his conscience pointed out. To honor one who did his best even though it led to the grave this scholarship is established.