NINTH WAR LECTURE TO BE HELD TONIGHT AT 8 O'CLOCK

WILL TALK ON AVIATION

The ninth of the series of war lectures given this winter under the auspices of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences will take place this evening at 8 o'clock in the New Lecture Hall, when Professor W. C. Sabine, A.M. '88, will talk on "Aviation and the War." The lecture by Colonel Sir Walter Roper Lawrence, which was to have been the eighth of the course, has been indefinitely postponed.

Professor Sabine was granted leave of absence by the University during the first half of the college year of 1916-17, and went to France, where he lectured as Exchange Professor at the Sorbonne in Paris. After about six months in this post, Professor Sabine entered the service of the French and British Governments for the special purpose of experimenting with a system whereby the range might be found for artillery by the use of a method of sound triangulation. During his experiments he was at the front a great deal of the time and in connection with his work on artillery liaison had an unusual opportunity to observe the aviation branch of the service.

The lecture this evening will relate to the function of the airplane as an offensive weapon, and also as an aid to the other branches of the service at the front. Every phase of the use of aviation in modern warfare will be taken up, and many lantern slides will be used by the speaker to illustrate the points brought up in the address.

Military Lecture Postponed.

The lecture scheduled this evening for the members of Military Science 1, on the "Topography of Northern France," has been postponed until a later date.