WAR TO BE WON BY INFANTRY

AIRPLANES, HOWEVER, RENDER ADVANCES EASIER, SAID SABINE.

"We are constantly being told that America's airplanes will win the war, but this is not literally true," said Professor W. C. Sabine '88, in the course of his lecture on "Aviation and the War" in the New Lecture Hall last night. "Superior air service will make artillery work possible, and superior artillery will make infantry advance easier. It is upon infantry advance, however, that success rests in this as in former wars."

Professor Sabine, who returned last fall from a long visit to the front, explained in detail during the lecture the organization of the Allied air service. He spoke at length of the three types of machines, the scouting, the battle and the bombing planes, describing their construction and utility. He emphasized particularly the importance of the battle-plane in controlling artillery fire, and of the bombing plane in offensive work. In speaking of the latter, he expressed the hope that America would produce bombers who would have sufficient control and training in the use of bombing-sights to obtain better results than either side has shown in the war up to the present time. He showed clearly that careful bombing would increase the efficiency of the service fivefold, and, accordingly, make one plane do the work of five.

Great Deal Accomplished.

In concluding his talk he said:

"America's prospects in the all are not a subject for free discussion, but we may go so far as to say that those in charge of our aerial program have in eight months accomplished more than our allies could have expected.

"I have talked with several French and English attaches since we declared war. In the beginning they were skeptical as to our ability to produce a suitable motor; our Liberty Motor answered their doubts. We proved to them that we could produce in sufficient quantities not only motors, but whole machines. Finally we convinced them that we could make the requisite number and quality of propellors,--a difficult problem. One can not help but express considerable satisfaction at the task we have accomplished under the skilled guidance of our allies."