Technology Defeated Informals

Among the other three events in which informal and Freshman track athletes took part, the only one in which any member of the University placed was the running high jump, which C. G. Krogness '21 won by a leap of five feet 10 3-4 inches, which made six feet, three-quarters inch with his handicap of two inches. Krogness was first, however, in actual jumping, for second place was won by A. S. Roberts of the Radio School with an actual jump of five feet eight inches and three inches handicap, making five feet 11 inches. Another Radio School cadet, V. H. Simmons, was third with an actual jump of five feet six inches and three inches handicap.

In the 40-yard service dash, two University entries, F. F. Williams '20 and C. G. Krogness '21, reached the semifinals. None of the informal or Freshman runners placed in the 1,000-yard handicap run, which was won by D. C. Carpenter of Massachusetts A. C., with J. W. Ray, I. A. C., second.

Two members of last year's University track team ran on the Camp Devens relay four, which placed second to the Boston Navy Yard in the triangular race between Camp Dix, Camp Dvens and the Navy Yard. E. A. Teschner '17, track captain last year, started for Camp Devens and turned over a substantial lead at the end of his three laps, which was maintained by the next tow Ayer runners. H. W. Minot '17, anchor-man for Camp Devens, was unable, however, to keep ahead of Halpin of the Navy Yard, who defeated him by a burst of speed at the finish.

The athletes who were expected to star in the meet ran true to form. J. W. Ray of the Illinois Athletic Club won the Hunter Mile by a wide margin, in four minutes 24 3-5 seconds, and G. T. Nightingale of New Hampshire State College was the winner of the three mile run by 50 yards over Goodwin of Bowdoin