ANNIVERSARY OF HONOR SYSTEM COMMEMORATED

Princeton Pian Was Instituted 25 Years Age.--Spirit of Students Commended.

Last week marked the anniversary of the Honor System at Princeton. The scheme was instituted there 25 years ago whereby the students were placed on their honor during examinations, and it has been adhered to ever since. President Hibben of the university has written a report on the success of the system. An extract follows:

"Our Honor System at Princeton passed beyond its experimental stage years ago. It has become an established procedure, to which our undergraduates have given a loyal adherence--not reluctantly, nor sullenly, but in a spirit of pride and enthusiasm; for this is particularly their system--they conceived it and put it into practice. That the success of the enterprise started 25 years ago is due wholly to the fact that the idea originated within the undergraduate body, spontaneously, irresistibly. Their desire, their determination, rein-forced by succeeding generations of college men, has caused the idea to become an unquestioned success, not only in the primary sphere of its operation, but throughout the entire range of our campus life. . . .

"We speak usually of our honor system. First it was a system merely. It has now become, however, a spirit pervading the place. In the present troublous times our nation is at war in order that men may live their lives according to the code of honor. In the new order of things after the war, it is the sense of honor which must prevail between man and man, nation and nation, the world over. . . ."