MAY INCREASE STUDENT CORPS

CHAMBERLAIN BILL PROVIDES FOR DETAIL OF A THOUSAND OFFICERS

A bill has been introduced in the Senate by Senator Chamberlain, chairman of the Committee on Military Affairs, empowering the President to detail a certain number of commissioned officers, not to exceed 1,000 as professors of military science and tactles at institutions where one or more units of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps are maintained. The bill also provides that the President may detail at such institutions a number of enlisted men, not to exceed 3,000, as he may deem necessary to act as assistants in training the men enrolled in the R. O. T. C. Under this bill, the Secretary of War may issue to schools and colleges having an R. O. T. C. recognized by the War Department, at Government expense, Whatever amount of arms and other equipment he may think necessary.

The bill is now before the Senate Committee on Military Affairs for consideration, and it is understood that they look favorably upon it. If it is approved by them, it will go to the House of Representatives and then to the President for ratification. If it is passed it will open a wide field for the development of effective training in the larger colleges of the country, and offer great possibilities for men to remain in college and receive at the same time the benefit of instruction in a perfected R. O. T. C.