TO ENCOURAGE MINOR SPORTS

STATEMENTS THAT ATHLETICS ARE TO BE CURTAILED NOT TRUE.

Contrary to statements made during the last three days in the press, the University Athletic Committee plans to encourage minor sports this spring. Both Dean Briggs and Captain F. W. Moore '93, graduate treasurer of the Athletic Association, denied that any action to curtail sport had been taken at or since the meeting of the Athletic Committee on February 19, when it was decided to resume athletics on a formal but restricted basis.

In speaking of the policy of the Committee yesterday, Captain Moore said: "Our idea has been to encourage rather than to discourage minor sports in order to follow the policy of giving general physical development to all instead of specialized athletics for the few."

He went on to point out that although the Athletic Committee would object to extravagant expenditures by minor teams, there is no reason why sufficient funds to arrange games with outside colleges or service teams should not be provided. The only requirement for organizing a team in any sport is that enough men show an interest. In fact, minor sports are considered by the Athletic Committee as important in comparison to major sports, as they were before the war.

Dean Briggs Quoted.

Dean Briggs reiterated the statements of Captain Moore, and added that he could not remember a single action taken by the Athletic Committee to discourage minor sports. "While no special ruling was made concerning the minor athletics at the meeting of February 19, it was understood that a resumption of all sports was contemplated."