BOOKS

This week has been set aside for the collection of books for the soldiers, at the express recommendation of General Pershing. Like the clothing collection, it entails a minimum of sacrifice and a maximum of use. Books of all kinds that are modern and readable are in the greatest demand.

Wherever there are soldiers there is need for books. From the barracks of Camp Devens to the Y. M. C. A. Huts on the Chemin des Dames front, all must be supplied. Military life is, at times, extremely boresome; our soldiers must have some means of mental relaxation. A Y. M. C. A. Hut bare of books is a dull and uninteresting object; with books an atmosphere of ease and homelikeness is obtained, that seems so good to a tired soldier.

The University can help in no slight degree in stocking the shelves of the army and navy. Many men have old novels that they never expect to read again cluttering up their rooms, novels that will be of great value in war libraries. It would indeed be strange if there were not a superfluity of books in an institution of learning.