DUTCH SHIPS

By the recent commandeering of one million tons of Dutch shipping, we have been added materially in our transportation problem. In these days of a shortage of ships and a superfluity of U-boats, we cannot get too much tonnage.

At first blush this seizure seems like an unwarranted grabbing of neutral property. However, this is far from being the case. A well-known and established right of international law, the right of angary, allows belligerents to seize neutral shipping found in its territories, under stress of necessity and with proper compensation. Our need for more ships is great and ever-increasing. Holland will, of course, receive full payment for the use of her property.

We have not made this seizure without trying to come to an amicable agreement. Some time ago negotiations were started with the Netherlands, but Germany's influence was so strong that they were delayed and put off until it became clear there was no chance of completing them. In the meantime, Holland's ships were lying idle in our harbors at a time when they were most needed.