ATHLETIC PROSPECTS AT YALE AND PRINCETON ENCOURAGING

BASEBALL, CREW AND TRACK OUTLOOK, WHILE NOT AS BRIGHT AS IN FORMER YEARS, IS BY NO MEANS DISCOURAGING IN VIEW OF WAR CONDITIONS.

The prospects at Yale and Princeton for successful seasons in the three major sports--crew, baseball and track--while not as bright as in former years, are by no means discouraging in view of the conditions imposed by the war at the two universities. Rowing prospects seem the best of the three, and in this sport the University will probably find Yale its strongest opponent.

For a crew, Yale has three experienced men -- Captain Hyatt, Vail and Mead -- for the nucleus of an eight. Professor Mather Abbott of the faculty, who is acting as coach for the Elis, is aiming to provide sport this year for all rather than to develop a specialized highly-trained eight. Every candidate, accordingly, who has reported for practice will be retained throughout the season, and a strong plea will be made for new men to come out. In speaking of the crew prospects at Yale, Professor Abbott is quoted by the New York Evening Post as saying:

"At present it appears that we have an abundance of good material, but most of it is undeveloped and will need a lot of schooling."

80 Out For Crew at Princeton.

Princeton has only one man in college who has had any previous experience in a university shell, but more than 80 men have reported for practice, and special attention is to be paid to the development of the entire squad.

At Yale there is much enthusiasm for the baseball team. Captain Lyman, a substitute on last year's nine, is back in college, and will play in the infield. Gage, Boyd and Gordon seem the logical men for the outfield positions. As yet, however, there have been no outstanding battery candidates.

Princeton has a squad of 50 ball players now practising regularly in the gymnasium. According to the Daily Princetonian, everything points to a successful season, although few men with experience on a university squad are back in college.

The interest to date in baseball at the University, Yale and Princeton seems to show that the triangular series of games will undoubtedly be well and closely contested.

Coach Mack Disappointed.

Surprisingly little enthusiasm is manifest in track at Yale, and only 15 to 20 men have been reporting for daily practice. Prospects are discouraging. Candidates have come out for only nine of the 12 events which are usually included in the intercollegiate meet, and Coach Mack, the only professional who remains on the athletic staff at Yale, is disappointed at the poor showing.

The track outlook at Princeton seems brighter than at Yale. There are more experienced men available for track than there are for any other major sport, and in the events where Princeton has lost its best men there are promising candidates from last year's Freshman team. Captain Barrett, Larkin and Stewart, all of whom have had experience in quarter-mile races, will offer an excellent foundation for a successful mile relay team. Raymond, in the mile, Erdman, in the hurdles, and Sinclair, in the shot-put, are other men who have run on former Princeton track teams. The Tigers are planning to give greater attention to track this year than either the University or Yale.