The Next Series of Training Camps.

COMMENT

The War Department is discussing the plans for the fourth series of training camps for officers, and it is possible there may be many important changes in the plans that were followed in the former system of conducting these camps. Before leaving the Department to take command of a division of the National Army, Major General John F. Morrison, U. S. A., made a recommendation regarding this subject which is now under consideration. He proposed that the work of preparation for service in the various branches of the Service be concentrated at those camps which have been regarded as specially adapted for training in a particular line of Army service. He suggested that the officers intended for service with Infantry be trained at Fort Leavenworth; those who were to be assigned to the Cavalry at Fort Riley; and the Artillery student officers be assigned to Fort Sill.

There is a difference of opinion regarding the recommendation and it has been pointed out by other general officers that the posts which have been suggested by General Morrison lack sufficient equipment and space for the numbers of men who, it is expected, will be sent to the camps. It is said that Fort Riley, for example, is now filled to its capacity with men who are taking the training course for the medical branch of the Service. It is asserted that the capacity of the other two camps mentioned will not exceed 6,000 and if the ratio of graduates is approximately the same as that of the former training camps only about 4,000 officers will receive diplomas; when if the ratio of officers needed for the new draft is the same as that for the first draft more than 25,000 officers will be needed.

It is understood that an alternative suggestion has been made that the selections for the camp sites be made along the same lines as were followed in the third series of training camps and that most of the former sites be used again. The date which will probably be set for the opening of the new camps is June 1, and it is believed that the men selected for training will be taken from the enlisted men of the Regular Army, National Guard and the National Army, on the recommendation of company commanders, as approved by regimental and brigade commanders, and there will be a percentage of student entrants from colleges and military schools that have been recognized by the War Department. --Army and Navy Journal.