UNIVERSITY NINE TOOK CONTEST FROM 1921

MANY HITS AND ERRORS

By coming from behind and scoring five runs in a seventh inning rally in Saturday's engagement, the University nine defeated the Freshmen by a score of 11 to 9, thus preventing the first-year men from winning three straight games by adding to their victories on Wednesday and Thursday of last week. As has been the case all spring, batting and fielding were the corresponding strong points and weaknesses of both teams, the total of hits amounting to 23 and of errors to 11. Only two extra-base hits were obtained, both by the University team, S. H. Johnson '20, who played first base for the first time this season, and T. H. Gammack '20, the regular catcher, each getting a double.

The 1921 pitchers led in number of strike-outs, fanning 11 University players, as opposed to three struck out by the upperclass boxmen. On the other hand, the Freshman pitchers issued 10 passes, while only three Freshmen were given bases on balls.

1921 opened up a lead of one run in the first inning after the University team had failed to score, although having the bases full with none out. Lee, the first man up, walked, was advanced to second by Baldwin's sacrifice, went to third on Meehan's out and scored on Frothingham's single. The University team entered the seventh inning with the score 9 to 6 against them. Two bases on balls, four hits; two of them doubles, one error and a sacrifice fly, made the final score 11 to 9.