MORALE

Recently the press has commented frequently upon America's achievements in our first war year. The increase of the Army from a personnel of 212,000 to 1,652,000, and the Navy from 84,000 to 352,000 has been justly praised. But there is another item in our military preparation that is more important, yet which has not been accorded its just praise. That item is morale. The strengthening of American morale within the last twelvemonth has been as inspiring as the creation of our martial hosts.

That this war is a competition in morale is admitted by all statesmen. That moral strength will decide the final and supreme battle is likewise acknowledged. Hence, if American morale has been strengthened, the nation has more reason to be thankful than it has over the knowledge that nearly two million men are now under arms.

Many will say that a year ago the United States did not want war. To make such a statement now would be preposterous. Why the change in sentiment? A more complete knowledge of the hellishness of German and Teuton intrigue has been the means, the accompanying realization that the world must be made safe for democracy, is responsible for that change. So long as public opinion is determined that the ultimate welfare of civilization demands the defeat of Germany, Prussianism is doomed. America believes now, as never before, that the fate of humanity rests with her. Such an ideal is too noble to perish. And America is to be truly thankful, not merely because of her large Army and Navy, but primarily because the nation realizes that that ideal shall not perish.