HARVARD '15 KILLED IN ACTION

A DESCENDANT OF UNIVERSITY'S FOUNDER; DISTINGUISHED IN ARMY.

Lieutenant Lionel de Jersey Harvard '15, of the Grenadier Guards, is reported in the dispatches as having been killed in action in Flanders on March 30. Harvard, who is the second of his family to lay down his life for England, enlisted in 1915 immediately after receiving his degree, and was once wounded in his first year of service. Since then he has distinguished himself at Ypres and later at Cambral, where he commanded King's Company in the attack near Fontaine Notre Dame.

Lionel Harvard, who was a direct descendant of a brother of John Harvard, and was 24 years old when he met his death, was prominent in class and social life when at college. He was a member of the Freshman Glee Club in his first year, and for three years on the quartet of the University Glee Club. An active social service worker, he was at one time vice-president of the Christian Association, and during 1914-15 served as president of the Cosmopolitan Club. He was elected Class Poet and was also awarded the Boylston Oratory Prize.

Harvard leaves a wife and a young son, Peter. His younger brother, Kenneth, was killed in the British advance near Ypres last August.