MARINE CORPS SCHEDULES OFFICERS' TRAINING CAMP

MEN UNDER 21 ADMITTED

President Lowell has received a letter from Major-General George Barnett of the United States Marines, announcing that University graduates who can show by certificate that they have satisfactorily completed all military science work here, will be eligible for commissions as first or second lieutenants in the Marine Corps. The men will go into an officers' training camp for three months soon after the end of this college year. If they fall to qualify they will be required to serve as enlisted men in the Marines.

Candidates are ordinarily required to serve as enlisted men for a period of five weeks before being considered for commissions in the Marines. University men will, however, be required to appear before a selection board which will have the final selection entirely in its own hands. As this action is taken in view of the excellent military training gven at the University, graduates will be considered eligible for selection only provided they can present a certificate that they have taken the entire University's course of training. Men applying must be between the ages of 20 and 35.

The Navy Appropriation Bill which has passed the House of Representatives provides for increasing the strength of the Marine Corps from 30,000 to 75,500 men. If it passes the Senate, as it probably will in the near future, there will be a need for at least 1,800 new first and second lieutenants.

No particulars concerning the location of the various officers' training camps for Marines are included in the letter, nor is any statement made of the date when they will open. This probably depends on the passage of the Navy Appropriation Bill.