CLASS DAY IN THE STADIUM

The war has brought many changes in the daily life of the people. The college undergraduate has been equally affected and moves in a sphere unknown to the peaceful days of previous years. He has curtailed almost all activities which have no direct hearing on the present conflict. Old customs which had become Harvard's sacred traditions have passed out of existence. All this the undergraduate gladly accepts, knowing it to be the inevitable. Yet there is a danger that war hysteria may drive Americans to measures which are not marked by necessity. It is this consideration which demands reflection on the decision of the Faculty to substitute Class Day exercises in Sanders Theatre for those which have always taken place in the Stadium.

That Class Day in the Stadium is a considerable expense no one can deny. That it is also one of the most impressive and memorable of Senior functions is equally certain. We are faced in this war with the necessity of economies, but we must realize that it is to the best interests of the nation to curtail only those activities which are incompatible with a successful prosecution of the war. Before doing away with Class Day in the Stadium we must consider what it means in the lives of those who remain as well as what it means in the conservation of the nation's energy and resources. Moderation is the keynote of all successful human action. In the accomplishment of economy it is no exception. Traditions which are now broken will perhaps never again come into being. Let us think well before Class Day in the Stadium becomes a thing of the past.