Gen. Wood's Fine Example.

COMMENT

Fine in tone and temper and a soldierly example is the brief speech of Major General Leonard Wood at Camp Mills to the officers of the 89th Division: the men he has trained for the war.

"These orders stand," said General Wood, parting from the division. "The only thing to do is to do the best we can to win the war. That's what we are here for; that's what you have been trained for." Of the President he would only say that he had been "very courteous and very considerate." Of France only this: "I think the line will hold."

Respectful toward his commander, loyal to his duty, confident in our allies, General Wood rebukes by his conduct those civilians who trumpeted his "wrongs" in a way that Berlin can best appreciate. They may possess their souls with patience if he steels his with duty.

We must "do the best we can to win the war." With valor and vigor and experience in command, General Wood is sure, living, to do his part, the spirit of his loyal utterance sustaining him. His part may lie on two continents. It will be useful to the common cause. It can hardly fail to be distinguished. --New York World.