ANONYMOUS LETTERS.

Several letters have recently been received by instructors or those otherwise connected with the University, which have lacked signatures. The contents of the letters have shown that the writers in each instance desired only to offer constructive criticism on some matter which was not to their satisfaction, and that nothing of a purely personal nature was thought of or intended. The senders of such epistles, however, cannot be too strongly warned of the contemptible nature of their act. If they have any suggestions or complaints which may be fairly presented a personal interview should be sought, or if in special cases a letter is unavoidable then the writer's signature should add the validation and support to the letter which good faith requires.

The recipient of an anonymous letter is attacked without being given the slightest chance of defense. Although the facts may be entirely different from what his critic presumes, the receiver is denied the right to present his side of the case. In legal procedure the time when the identity of accusers could forever remain a secret from the accused fortunately passed into history along with the Inquisition. It is no more to be countenanced in the communications of today than it is in the courts of the present time. If there exists a just cause for complaint or a worthy suggestion, then it should be made openly, for that which cannot be said except under cloak of anonymity had better remain forever unsaid.