HARVARD'S SCHOOL OF SCIENCE

The new Engineering School, founded under the terms of the McKay bequest, may be said to have really come into existence yesterday, for, though first opened last fall, it has now become entirely reorganized. Its large enrolment presages well for its success.

In some ways it is to be regretted that it became necessary to start a rival school only a few miles from Technology. The scheme of joining the engineering courses at Harvard with those at M. I. T., forbidden by the Supreme Court of this state, seemed at first thought to be much more convenient and sensible. But the University actually is in great need of a scientific school and is entirely capable of supporting one. While most of the other large universities have had such schools of their own, Harvard has individually been represented by none. While the present arrangements with Tech. have proved satisfactory, nevertheless the University now has the pride of possessing as its own a school of science which promises to be without peer.

There is no need to dwell on the importance, especially in the immediate future, of the subjects offered by the McKay school. Their enormous value and practicability speak for themselves. The important fact is that schedules are offered for both graduates and undergraduates. From this time on the possessor of the University's B.S. degree will have a higher standing, while men holding degrees of Mining Engineer, Doctor of Science and the like will be in as great demand throughout the country as are the honor men at the Law School. The Engineering School opens at a most auspicious time; may its success be unsurpassed.