INTERESTING EXHIBITS IN WIDENER'S TREASURE ROOM

Furnished with New Equipment; Many Valuable Manuscripts Given Recently.

Additions to the physical equipment of the Treasure Room of Widener Library and new gifts of valuable books and old manuscripts were announced yesterday. The equipment, consisting of new furniture and exhibition cases, was contributed through the kindness of the Library Committee of the Overseers. It has been donated in the name of Evart Jansen Wendell '82. Additional gifts of manuscripts, portraits, views, broadsides, posters and other objects of interest have been added to the collection recently.

There are several interesting collections now on exhibition in the Treasure Room. Among the most important of these are books and documents connected with the early history of the University. These, taken with views of the College from 1726 to the middle of the last century, shed much light on what Harvard College did and was in its early days.

Illuminated Work of Monks.

On tables in the centre of the room are displayed several manuscripts which are hand-illuminated on parchment and were made by the monks of the thirteenth to sixteenth centuries.

In addition, original letters and manuscripts are to be seen, including several of Longfellow's and Dickens' letters, and the original of one of Robert Burns' poems.

The Treasure Room is on the first floor of the library at the right of the foot of the stairway. It is open daily, except Sunday, from 9 A. M. until 5.30 P. M.