D. ROSS DONATES ART COLLECTION

Paintings on View in Fogg Demonstrate Theories of Design and Color.

In the Fogg Art Museum there is a unique and little-known display of drawings, diagrams, paintings in oil and water color, designs and photographs, all of which have been collected and given to the Museum by Denman W. Ross '75. The purpose of this interesting collection is to demonstrate the theories of design, composition, and color, and they are much used by Professor A. Pope '01 in his fine arts courses.

Many of the paintings were made by Dr. Ross himself, and, although they are in the nature of experiments, and exemplify some particular idea, they are charmingly artistical in themselves. There are also several copies of the old masters, showing the different modes of representation in painting and drawing.

The collection begins with a series of diagrams which illustrate the principles of design--the harmonious division of areas based upon geometric forms. Next in sequence are considerations of design in its relations of light and dark color, and color intensity. The examples of this include some very entertaining drawings by children, in which their powers of representation are enhanced by their having taken into consideration in their pictures the first simple principles of design.

Other examples of color and its value in design are furnished by copies of textiles, mostly by students of Dr. Ross. Finally these theories are carried into the field of representative painting in which Dr. Ross used his color scale and palette entirely. Most of the canvasses are small sketches but some are larger and more finished pictures.