POWER FROM THE PAST.

The praise of great men is idle unless the source of their power is guided into the life of the day. Since their fame rests upon certain qualities, no greater praise can be given than the discovery and use of those qualities. The following quotations represent sources of power which if acted upon as they once were, may achieve their former success. Let us keep in mind our particular problem of "radicalism" as it is seen in Lawrence, North Dakota, and Seattle.

"If any power on earth could erect the standard of infallibility in political opinion; there is no being that would resort to it with more eagerness than myself, . . . . But as I have found no better guide hitherto, than upright intentions and close investigation, I shall adhere to those maxims."

Not a breath of intolerance is felt in this opinion. Close investigation tempered by upright intentions will be brought to bear on all questions. This would eliminate much harmful criticism today.

"I am sure the mass of citizens in the United States mean well and I firmly believe they will always act well . . . ; but in some parts of the Union . . . . it is not easy to accomplish this . . . . when the inventors and abettors of pernicious measures use infinite more industry in disseminating the poison, than the well disposed part of the community to furnish the antidote."

Here is an understanding of dissatisfaction which puts the initiative upon the educated man rather than the police force.

These working principles of a successful life are taken from the letters of George Washington. No greater praise can be given him than that his life furnishes us power to meet our problems today.