A JOB FOR HARVARD CLUBS.

In a recent editorial under the title "Page the Harvard Clubs" the CRIMSON mentioned certain possibilities open to these organizations. The figures showing the number of men from each state studying at the University give point to this subject. Too much stress cannot be put upon statistics during such an unusual year as this. The figures reveal a healthy representation from without New England, and it would be hard to duplicate the showing in any other university. Yet the numbers recruited from other states than Massachusetts is far too small when the opportunities offered are considered.

We encourage the sending of our men to Oxford to promote international good fellowship. Would it not be well for the South and West to send men to Harvard to promote national goodfellowship. It is unnecessary to establish an elaborate system of scholarships for this purpose. That which is most needed in distant states is a close relation between the Harvard Clubs and the High Schools of their cities. There is plenty of material. It is just a matter of directing it into the proper channel.

Through these organizations the opportunities offered here could be made known to every prospective college candidate in the country. Even more vital, however, is personal effort on the part of Harvard graduates. They must remember that all people do not understand the University. They must take pains to show them for what it stands. This is an old time method of arousing interest but it is certain to make Harvard as desirable in the West as it now is here.