LIMITING OFFICES.

The announcement that Yale College, although not Sheffield, has ratified a proposal of the Student Council to limit the number of offices which an individual may hold will arouse wide-spread interest. Such a policy has long been in vogue in some preparatory schools and western universities. The exponents of the system defend it on the ground that it tends to efficiency in the administration of undergraduate activities in that it restrains a man from undertaking more than he can successfully accomplish. The benefits of experience in management are more equally distributed, and studies are said to receive more attention by virtue of less onerous extra-college duties.

Undoubtedly these points are indisputable. But it must be equally evident that regulation can only extend to college activities; clubs, dances and the theatre will have lost none of their charm. The practice of holding competitions provides an automatic check on usurpation in itself; an energetic man must surely find a field for his endeavors if he cares to strive for it under the present system.

It is to be doubted whether the practical development of Yale's latest innovation will be as successful as its sponsors would have us believe.