THE DEVELOPMENT OF CLASS DAY

The preparation now being made for various graduation festivities calls to mind the varied history of these exercises. The first Commencement was held in 1642, and the occasion shortly became an event of great moment. That the affair was properly solemn and sober may be judged from the fact that the first restrictions did not appear until fifty years later, when students were forbidden to eat "plumb-cake," what this delicacy may be is not known but the authorities evidently took a dislike to it, for in 1722 we find a more stringent edict: "No provision for Plumb Cake, Roasted, Boyled, or Baked Meates or Pyres of any kind shall be made by any Commencer." They further stipulated that "Distilled Lyquours" were to be seized by tutors. What these gentlemen did with the confiscated property is not told, but an entry in the diary of one is significant,--"Bought two corkscrews at 4d each."

Class Day was started in 1760 by the election of one members of the Senior Class to deliver a valedictory address to the college, in Latin. It is interesting to note that at the first meeting to choose a Valedictorian, every members of the class brought a bottle of wine in his pocket. History relates there was "disorder."

At first, however, the Class Day ceremony was very simple, consisting of a dinner, an address, and the final fare well. As time passed, the celebrations became more elaborate. The dance around Rebellion Tree was started. Seniors began to entertain their friends with punch. Four years after the latter happening, the President found it necessary to convert the rejoicing into a "respectable entertainment." From then on the Yard was open to all friends of undergraduates. Ladies, young and old, were invited. It became customary to give spreads and there was much dancing in the Yard. The day was made doubly important to the Seniors, about this time, as Commencement ceased being "primarily for undergraduates" and was increasingly given over to reunions.

Dancing around Rebellion,--now called 'Liberty' Tree continued. Each Senior plucked a sprig or flower from a wreath to keep as a memento of college life. With the growth of the University, however, the scramble for flowers took on the nature of a riot, and consequently, about thirty years ago, many of the practices of Class Day had to be radically changed.

Next month the Seniors will celebrate the first true commencement since that of June, 1916. Many of the old practices are happily,--and unfortunately done away with. The Seniors no longer dance around the Class Tree, the Ivy Orator has nothing to do with the planting of vines; the ugliest man in the class is no longer presented with a jack knife. We trust, however, that the spirit is much the same today in the University as it was in the College of a century ago.