OBSERVATORY MAN DISCOVERS NEW PLANETS DURING SUMMER

Miss Mackle of University Staff Also Finds Two New Stars.

The University Observatory in Cambridge was the first to discover two new stars, which were found during the month of August by Miss G. H. Mackie of the Observatory. The discovery of these stars, together with that of two new planets by the Rev. J. H. Metcalf is considered a splendid summer's work by the Faculty at the Observatory.

Professor S. I. Bailey '88, acting head of the Observatory since Professor Pickering's death last February telling of the importance of the two new stars, said:

"When it is remembered that there have only been 15 or 16 'novae' discovered in all, the importance of the two additional ones cannot be overemphasized."

In replay to a question as to the power of the telescope Miss Mackie had used, Professor Bailey continued:

"Curiously enough, the new stars were not discovered with the aid of the telescope, but through the comparison of spectroscopic plates and photographs. The first new star was found at 20h. 3m. 1s. plus 17 deg. 24 and 3-10 minutes. The second star has not been accurately plotted yet."

Professor Bailey stated that the Harvard Observatory, together with the Blue Hill Observatory, together with the Blue Hill Observatory, would maintain the same spirit of helpful service in the future that it has in the past during the incumbency of Professor Pickering, whose motto was "There are no secrets in science," and who states that any institution might adopt their methods or any persons have their results.