MORE HARRIERS ARE NEEDED TO BUILD SUCCESSFUL TEAM

Candidates for Cross-Country Team Have Not Reported Regularly.

Although 58 candidates have reported for the University and Freshman cross-country squads, only a small per cent. of these men have been at practice regularly. It is very important that all men trying for the team should report every day, in order that Coach Farrell may begin regular training for the race with Syracuse.

Yesterday afternoon a small squad was sent over the four-mile Cemetery course. D. F. O'Connell '21, B. Lewis '20, W. Goodwin '20, C. L. Bond '20, and C. E. Dexter '22 showed improvement over their last year's form and with the addition of several of the new men who already begin to show promise, the prospects of a winning team are becoming more definite. It is still essential that a large additional number of men report, especially for the Freshman squad, if a series of victories is to be won this fall. Only 18 men reported yesterday, when 70 were needed. Freshmen reporting for cross-country are excused from compulsory physical training and in addition are given an opportunity to win their numerals in the Yale meet.

Beginning the first of next week the squad will be divided into groups and sent out over the Belmont course under the leadership of the more experienced men. Coach Farrell has worked out the training schedule for the next two weeks, at the end of which time he plans to have the squad in hard training for the Syracuse meet. Rubbers have been signed up and as soon as the squad is classified training tables will begin.

Eight additional candidates for Freshman track manager are needed and should report at the Locker Building this afternoon at 4 o'clock. Candidates reporting at this time will be at no disadvantage.