DR. BUTLER SHOWS EFFECTS OF WAR ON UNIVERSITIES

The Increased Importance of Education Shown by Need of Endowment Funds.

The effects of the world war on the educational institutions of the United States are clearly demonstrated in the report of Dr. Nicholas Murray Butler, LL.D. '09 as to the conditions at Columbia. An indication of the increased importance of the University is shown by his statement that Columbia needs a further endowment of at least $30,000,000 to provide funds with which to carry on its work. In connection with endowment gifts Dr. Butler defends the principle of university freedom and declares no institution of learning can conscientiously accept a gift which compromises its independence.

As to the subject of increased tuition fees at Columbia next year, Dr. Butler went on to say:

Increased Tuition Necessary.

"Higher education has always been provided at a fraction of its cost, but, unfortunately as its cost has increased the charge made for it has too often stood still or been increased in much smaller proportion. It is certainly not a legitimate use of the income of funds given by the public for the endowment of higher education to continue to provide for the sons and daughters of the well-to do a very expensive opportunity for higher education at the same scale of fees that prevailed a generation or two ago.

"Where tuition fees have not been sharply raised a university is hardly justified in appealing to the public for support. It has not made full use of the opportunities within its own control.

"It is a fallacy to suppose that deserving students will be deprived of a college or university education if tuition fees are increased. Experience proves just the contrary. What is important in such cases is that ample provision be made to care for those students who, having proved their fitness, would be deprived of a higher education unless financial aid were forthcoming. The glory of any American university today is the large number of students who by their own efforts are earning all or part of the money needed to keep them in residence at the university."

Psychological Exams. Success.

Dr. Butler also reports that the adoption of the army psychological test at Columbia has served to bring forward a highly intelligent type of student. He also notes a change in the American attitude toward the classics, which heretofore have been neglected in an increasing degree. At the same time he describes Columbia's efforts to improve its technical and engineering courses.