DISCOVERY OF NEW COMET IS CABLED TO UNIVERSITY

Prof. Lecointe Sends Word to Cambridge from New Central Bureau at Brussels.

The University Astronomical Observatory has received by cable the information that a new comet has been discovered by Comas Sola, the director of the observatory at Barcelona, Spain. The information came in a cablegram from Professor Lecointe, who is in charge of the new Central International Bureau of Astronomical Telegrams as Brussels.

The comet is described to be visible as yet only in a large telescope. It was discovered on January 13, and its position on January 13 (.5011 Greenwich mean time) is given as Right Ascension 8 hrs. 6m. 44s., declination, 22 deg. 23m. At present it is situated in the constellation Puppis, which is somewhat east of Sirius. Its daily motion is given as one minute 12 seconds west, five minutes and zero seconds of are south.

The University Observatory, which has been recognized by the Central International Bureau of Astronomical Telegrams as the centre for distribution of European astronomical information in America, is in touch with Professor Lecointe, and thus receives the earliest word of discoveries made in Europe. In return, it maintains contact with American observatories and transmits to Professor Lecointe the news of their latest achievements, so that the astronomers of both continents may be always informed of the progress of the science everywhere. In accordance with this plan the Harvard Observatory today telegraphed the news of Comas Sola's discovery to other American observatories.

No details concerning the comet, except the particulars as to its position, have been received, and it has not yet been observed in America. From now on, however, it will be under close observation at Harvard and other observatories.