EASTERN COLLEGE SWIMMING TEAMS ROUNDING INTO SHAPE

AMHERST ENLARGES PROGRAM

The inauguration of the intercollegiate swimming season finds the teams representing the various Eastern colleges and universities rapidly rounding into shape. Preliminary trials have resulted in most cases in the selection of first-string men, and nearly all those institutions having swimming on their sport schedules have already held their first meet of the season.

Yale is particularly strong this year in all the aquatic events with a team of record-holders representing her. Loren P. Thurston of Hawaii will be Yale's chief performer in the 100-yard dash. He was captain of his Freshman team two years ago, and left College to enter the service last year, but is back again now. His companion entry will be W. B. Shaffer, a Freshman last season, while Arthur Ferguson, T. R. McHenry and F. M. Kingsbury form a fast trio of reserve middle distance swimmers.

For the 50-yard dash Yale has a star in Edward Binney, who last year hung up a mark of 25 seconds flat for that distance. C. D. Pratt and H. Hopkins are doing well in the 220-yard swim, as are a very creditable string of divers in the fancy dive. In P. H. Meagher the Blue has another record-breaker, for as a plunger he has broken the intercollegiate record floating 75 feet--the entire length of the Carnegie Pool. N. T. Guernsey, the other entry in that event, has already covered 70 feet in practice this season.

"Tcch" Stars with Relay Quartet.

More than 150 candidates reported for swimming at M.I.T. this year, and prospects are bright for a successful season there. A star quartet has been practicing regularly for the relay event, the men picked for this being Biddell, Coston, Young and McGrath. Biddell is a fine all-round swimmer, and besides representing M.I.T. in the relay he has also been picked to start in the 50 and 100-yard dashes. Coston will swim with him in the former event, and O. T. Trowbridge in the latter. Captain C. D. Greene and Webber are expected to compete in the long distance swim, while J. A. Starbird and J. W. Kendall in the plunge and R. Skinner and Ferdinand in the dive are expected to develop into likely point-winners.

The College of the City of New York is looking forward to a brilliant season as well, and Coach McCormack believes that the relay team representing that institution is the fastest that has been turned out in seven years. Those who have proved the swiftest mermen and who will probably line up for the principal event are Captain Lehrman, Bauer, Hodes and Ashworth. Lehrman has been consistently doing the 50 in 27 seconds flat. and Bauer in 28.

C. C. N. Y. Goes in for Fancy Diving.

In the fancy dive C. C. N. Y. is exceptionally strong, with a star performer in Harry Cagney, the former Columbia star, who displayed almost perfect form in the recent meet with Rutgers.

Amherst's schedule includes three teams which were not competed against last year, Williams, M.I.T., and Syracuse. The meets with Williams and with M. I. T. will be a resumption of the annual pre-war contests, while Syracuse is the only team on the schedule which Amherst has not previously met in this sport. M. I. T. promises to be Amherst's strongest opponent this year, although Wesleyan and Syracuse should also provide keen rivalry. Practically all of last year's team are back in College, and a number of strong Freshman candidates have been found. Much good material has been brought to light in the interclass meets which have already been held, while Captain Cowles and Damon show promise of being heavy point winners for the Purple and White.