JOSEPH LAMONT GAVIT (1898-1920)

Joe Gavit's death from typhoid fever last Thursday night is a tragic loss for those who knew him here at College. His brilliant spontaneity as a writer, his delightful humor in conversation and force in argument marked him as one of the strongest intellectual figures of his class. During the fall his many articles for the Advocate and the CRIMSON were of unusual distinction. His election to the two papers last week was but a small recognition of the marked ability and keen interest which he showed.

When an older man of power passes away the whole country mourns him. But he has left his monument. Gavit was just beginning. His chance was still to come, and those who knew him believe he would have met it with the same sincerity and effective energy which marked his youth.

The CRIMSON wishes to express its profound sympathy to his family and to all with whom he was most intimate. His helpful friendship will always be of inestimable value to the members of the Board with whom he came in contact.