SCHOLARSHIP FOUNDED IN MEMORY OF H. E. CLAPP '16

Manly Qualities and High Scholarship to Fawn Eagle of Choice in Award of Fund.

A new scholarship has been established at the University through the gift of Clift Rogers Clapp '84 in memory of his son, Howard Rogers Clapp, who was killed in action in France in November, 1918.

The terms of Mr. Clapp's gift stipulate that the income of the Howard Rogers Clapp Scholarship Fund shall, be "paid to a student in the College chosen as much for high character and manly qualities as for excellence in scholarship, preference being given to men descended from at least two grandparents or more remote ancestors who were natives of United States of America or what is now known as Great Britain."

Howard Rogers Clapp, in whose memory the scholarship is established, attended the Plattsburgh Camp and the School of Military Aeronautics at Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1917, and after a subsequent course of training at Mineola became a member in 1918 of the 22nd Aero Squadron, A. E. F. He was killed in action over Yonca, France, November 3, 1918.

It was also announced that friends of the late Mrs. James Bell of Boston have established in her memory a fund to be called the Helen Choate Bell Fund in the Department of English. The prize is to be awarded "to any student in Harvard University or in Radcliffe College for merit shown in work connected with American literature--not for mere knowledge of things literary, but for indication of literary expression."

Three Appointments Announced

The appointments are announced of Dr. Henry Goddard Leach, who is secretary of the American-Scandinavian Foundation in New York, and was formerly an instructor in English at the University, to be Honorary Curator of Scandinavian History and Literature at the College Library; of Ananda K. Coomaraswamy as lecturer on Fine Arts; and of Dr. Rufus S. Tucker '11, who is now instructor in Economics under the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, to be also instructor in the Business School.

Assistant Professor Paul J. Sachs '00 has been granted leave of absence for the second half-year to do research work in Fine Arts and to collect works of art in Europe for the Fogg Museum of Fine Arts, and leave of absence of Professor Henry A. Yeomans '00 has been extended to cover the second half-year so that he may act as Exchange Professor from Harvard to the Provincial Universities of France. He is now serving as Exchange Professor at the University of Paris.

The Scholarship of the Harvard Engineering Society of New York has been awarded to R. W. Berkeley of Limington, Maine. Mr. Berkeley is a second-year student in the Engineering School.