WARMING UP FOR TRACK

This evening's track meeting at the Union should prove a good beginning for the coming season. It shows that the track management this year is letting no grass grow under its feet. Here is the situation. Before 1909 the University had thirteen victories to its credit in the Intercollegiates, four more than the nearest rival. Since then in the course of ten years Harvard has not won a single championship. The management realizes that action is needed, and have laid plans to bring the sport back to its rightful position by making it popular with the undergraduates. They have pointed out that a track athlete is made at college; he isn't born a star; that there is a chance for anyone with ordinary physique to develop into a runner or field-event man. The few exceptional stars will often gain the first places; Harvard has had them, but what she has lacked are the second and third place men, those who win the meets; many of those men are here in College, but do not even know what the board track looks like.

Here is their opportunity. At tonight's meeting plans for the revival of the sport will be discussed--plans which include a strenuous schedule on the boards, a winter carnival in March, and weekly handicap competitions designed primarily for the benefit of novices More candidates must come out, with 400 reporting daily at Cornell compared to the scant fifty here. It is needless for the Crimson to effort the undergraduates to support the track team in its laughable efforts to turn the oldest of major sports back on sound footing.