UNIVERSITY HAS 5481 ENROLLED THIS YEAR--459 MORE THAN 1919

LAW, BUSINESS, AND MEDICAL SCHOOLS SHOW INCREASES

The University enrollment this year, according to the first official figures issued, is 5481, or 459 more than that of last year at the corresponding date. It is expected that the number will be increased by late registrations to more than 5500. Whether the record enrollment of 5656 in 1916 will be exceeded is still uncertain.

The Freshman class shows a striking gain over last year, 623 men being enrolled as against 537 a year ago, an advance of 86. There are also 278 first-year men in the College who are enrolled as "Unclassified" students because they have transferred from other colleges to the University, bringing the total of first-year men in the College to 901, the largest on record. The College enrollment is otherwise about equal to that of last year except that there is a smaller number of men listed as "Out-of-Course" students. Last year many war veterans returned to complete their college education and were put in this classification. This year the number of out-of-course students is naturally reduced, partly offsetting the gain in the Freshman class and reducing the total gain in Harvard College over last year's figures to 24. The College enrollment is 2526.

Graduate School Starts With 96

The new Graduate School of Education begins its first year with 96 students, which is considered a remarkably favorable record. Of these, 62 are men and 34 are women. These are the first women who have ever been admitted to candidacy for a Harvard degree.

Most of the other graduate and professional schools show gains. The Graduate School of Business Administration has to date 432 students as against 364 last year, an increase of 68. The first-year class in this school is approximately the same size as last year, an unexpectedly large number of candidates having been eliminated by the stiffening of the entrance requirements; the second-year class is considerably bigger than last year. The Law School has 920, as against 846, a gain of 74. The Medical School, in which attendance has to be limited, has this year 439 men, or 26 more than last year. The Dental School shows an increase of 43, the total registration being 231.

The Engineering School, now beginning its second full academic year, has almost doubled its enrollment, the number of men registered leaping from 117 to 208. The only decrease among the graduate schools is found in the attendance at the Divinity School, which has dropped this year from 54 to 36.

If the University added into the total the registration of students in the Summer School and other departments which come under the general head of University Extension, the total number of students would be brought between seven and eight thousand. The figures follow:

Harvard CollegeFreshmen,  623Sophomores,  579Juniors,  616Seniors,  333Unclassified,  278Out-of-Course,  972526Graduate School of Arts and Sciences,  524School of Architecture,  31School of Landscape Architecture,  24Bussey Institution,  14Graduate School of Education,  96689School of Business AdministrationSecond year,  128First year,  275Special,  24Unclassified,  5432Divinity School,  36Law SchoolGraduates,  10Third year,  189Second year,  279First year,  359Unclassified,  83920Medical SchoolFourth year,  105Third year,  102Second year,  106First year,  125Public health,  1439Dental SchoolGraduates,  46Third year,  37Second year,  69First year,  79231Engineering SchoolGraduates,  15Seniors,  20Juniors,  69Sophomores,  23Freshmen,  35Unclassified,  39Specials,  7208Total for the University to date,  5481Total last year at this time,  502